Spring, Texas – June 3rd, 2018: Yesterday, Harris County Fire Marshal’s investigators were requested to assist Spring Fire Department with a residential fire in the 22700 block of Millgate Dr in the Postwood Subdivision. Upon arrival, investigators were notified that one female victim was transported to Memorial Herman via Life Flight and one male victim was transported via ambulance to Northwest Medical Center. A third person, refused treatment at the scene.
“Investigators have determined the fire was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials,” said Public Information Officer Rachel Moreno. “The fire originated on the couch, where a cigarette butt had fallen between the cushions. The male victim who was originally transported to Northwest Medical Center, has since been taken to UTMB Galveston via Life Flight. He is in critical condition.”
The Harris County Fire Marshal’s Office encourages anyone who smokes to follow these safety tips:
- If you smoke, smoke outside.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Never smoke where medical oxygen is used.
- Wherever you smoke, use deep, sturdy ashtrays. If ashtrays are not available, use a metal can or pail.
- Before going to bed, check under furniture cushions and around places where people smoke for cigarettes and cigarette butts.
- Before you throw out butts and ashes, make sure they are out. Put them out in water or sand.
The Harris County Fire Marshal’s Office Investigations Division is responsible for fire, arson, and explosion investigations in unincorporated Harris County.