Harris County, TX: The Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management reminds area residents to take precautions to protect life and property during winter weather, including checking on elderly, taking care of pets and livestock, protecting plants and exposed plumbing.
Here are some tips for dealing with freezing temperatures (remember the four “P’s”):
Keep warm, stay inside if possible.
- If you need to go out, dress in layers and wear hats, gloves and an appropriate coat.
Avoid overexertion, as cold weather puts added strain on your body.
Bring pets inside, and move other animals or livestock to sheltered areas.
Keep adequate food and water available.
- Disconnect outdoor hoses, drain and store in protected area.
- Wrap exposed faucets and pipes – including those outside the house or in unheated crawl spaces, attics, garages and other areas.
- Bring potted plants inside or store in garage near interior wall to provide extra warmth and protection from wind.
- For cold-sensitive outdoor plants, put down extra mulch and consider covering with a cloth fabric of some kind to shield the plants from wind and frost.
For your safety, follow these space heater safety tips:
- Never place a space heater on top of furniture or near water.
- Keep heat sources at least 3 feet away from furniture and drapes.
- Never leave children unattended near a space heater.
Protect yourself from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning by installing a battery-operated CO detector and never using generators, grills, camp stoves, or similar devices indoors.
It is also recommended that you prepare your car for winter. Have your car serviced and add antifreeze as needed.
(Credit: Harris County OEM – ReadyHarris.com)
In Case You Missed It
Crime & Security6 days ago
Missing Spring Man Found Deceased in Conroe
Harris County2 weeks ago
Subway Manager Fired After Text Message Exchange Turns Racist
Harris County1 week ago
SEARCH FOR MISSING MAN; Family of Spring Man Asking For Public’s Help
Harris County3 weeks ago
Spring High School Sophomore Dies in Rip Current on Matagorda Beach
Crime & Security1 day ago
SWAT Scene Unfolding in Park Spring Subdivision; Man Barricaded
Local News3 weeks ago
Vote To Remove Tolls From Texas 242 Flyovers Unanimously Passed
Crime & Security3 weeks ago
14 Arrested for DWI Over Memorial Day Weekend
Local News2 weeks ago
Elderly Female with Dementia Missing From Imperial Oaks Subdivision