Harris County, Texas – July 23, 2018: Hot and humid conditions continue in Southeast Texas. A Heat Advisory from the National Weather Service (NWS) remains in effect for Monday from noon to 9 p.m. Residents are urged to take precautions. Harris County Libraries will be available as cooling centers for residents seeking relief from the heat. Locations with hours of operation can be found here: http://www.hcpl.net/location/
Please limit any time outdoors to the early morning and late evening, and stay hydrated throughout the day. Always check your backseat for children or pets and check on your neighbors, especially the elderly.
What you need to do:
- Keep your body temperature cool to avoid heat-related illness.
- Stay in air-conditioned buildings as much as possible.
- Find an air-conditioned shelter.
- Do not rely on a fan as your primary cooling device.
- Avoid direct sunlight.
- Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- Take cool showers or baths.
- Check on those most at-risk twice a day.
- Because your body loses fluids through sweat, you can become dehydrated during times of extreme heat.
- Drink more water than usual.
- Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink more fluids.
- Drink from two to four cups of water every hour while working or exercising outside.
- Avoid alcohol or liquids containing high amounts of sugar.
- Remind others to drink enough water.
- Also, extreme heat for a long period of time may put a strain on the electric grid. To reduce strain to the grid during the peak hours of 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., it’s recommended that AC is set to 78°F or warmer and avoid using large appliances.
Stay updated on local weather forecasts so you can plan activities safely when it’s hot outside.
- Check local news for extreme heat alerts and safety tips.
- Learn the symptoms of heat illness.
In Case You Missed It
Crime & Security4 days ago
Manhunt In Progress Near Cypresswood & Aldine Westfield
Crime & Security2 weeks ago
Constables Bust Major Car Burglary Ring in Northwest Harris County
Local News2 weeks ago
Man Accused of Having Sex With 14-Year-Old Girl at Spring Park and Ride
Crime & Security3 weeks ago
14-Year-Old In Critical Condition After Being Shot in Neck With Stolen Gun
Crime & Security3 days ago
Man Arrested After Punching 1-Year-Old In Chest Because He Was Crying Too Much
Food & Dining5 days ago
New Mexican Restaurant in Spring Offering Authentic Tastes
Crime & Security2 days ago
Mother of Daughter Who Was Trafficked and Murdered Files Suit Against Local Motel
Investigates1 week ago
ESD #11 Hires PR Firm To Find Negative Comments About Them on Internet