Spring, Texas – A 72-year-old Spring man has been arrested and charged with intoxication manslaughter after striking and killing a pedestrian walking along FM 2920.
When responders arrived they found a 20-year-old female in critical condition after being struck by a small SUV. The female was transported via lifeflight to the Texas Medical Center with CPR in progress. She was pronounced deceased at the hospital. The female’s identity has not yet been released.
Deputies detained the driver of the SUV who was later identified as Donald Gene Lane, 72 years of age. According to officials, Lane failed to maintain a single lane, striking the female who was walking on the shoulder of the roadway. A Drug Recognition Expert with the Precinct 4 Constables Office conducted field sobriety tests on Lane. During the investigation, Lane admitted to having smoked marijuana prior to the crash. A blood draw warrant was obtained.
Donald Gene Lane was arrested and charged with the felony charge of intoxication manslaughter with a vehicle. Lane remains in the Harris County jail on a $40,000.00 bond.
According to public records, Lane has a lengthy arrest history.
- 12/29/1977 – Misdemeanor Gambling Goods – Case Dismissed
- 06/04/1985 – Felony Attempt to Commit Murder – Case Dismissed
- 07/12/1991 – Misdemeanor Possession of a Controlled Substance – Case Dismissed
- 11/3/1998 – Felony Possession of a Controlled Substance – Case Dismissed
- 10/26/1998 – Felony Possession of a Controlled Substance – Case Dismissed
- 06/17/2004 – Felony Possession of a Controlled Substance – Case Dismissed
- 11/02/2004 – Misdemeanor Possession of Marijuana – Convicted
- 06/07/2005 – Misdemeanor Driving With Suspended License – Convicted and charged with a $100 fine
- 09/09/2005 – Felony Possession of a Controlled Substance – Case Dismissed “Insufficient Evidence”
- 05/11/2020 = Felony Intoxication Manslaughter w/vehicle – In Jail
Lane is due back in court on Tuesday. He will see Judge Jesse McClure III in the 339th District Court.