Connect with us

Fire Related Incidents

68-Year-Old Female Dies of Smoke Inhalation after Candle Catches Spring Home On Fire

Published

on


Spring, Texas – Harris County Fire Marshal’s Office investigators determined a candle caused a fatal fire that occurred in the 22500 block of Leafygate Dr. A 68-year-old female died of smoke inhalation and thermal burns. A female caretaker was also taken to the hospital as a precaution for shortness of breath.

“Investigators determined a dog in the home knocked over a lit candle onto a couch, starting a fire,” said Harris County Fire Marshal Laurie L. Christensen. “The caretaker was in the garage at the time of the fire. Heavy smoke and flames prevented the caretaker from reaching the 68-year-old female, who was in her bedroom. Unfortunately, several pets also died in the fire.”

Investigators interviewed the caretaker prior to her being transported to the hospital. Her interview and evidence at the fire scene provided investigators the information necessary to determine the origin and cause of the fire.

The Harris County Fire Marshal’s Office encourages everyone to practice the following fire safety tips regarding candles:

  • Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
  • Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
  • Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily.
  • Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
  • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.

The Harris County Fire Marshal’s Office Investigations Division is responsible for fire, arson and explosion investigations in unincorporated Harris County.

Advertisement

Thank you NetDepot!

Our website is proudly housed out of a local data center. Our state-of-the-art servers are managed by our partners at NetDepot.com located in Spring, Texas!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Disclaimer:

All information is deemed reliable, but not guaranteed. Information, reports, releases, and events are subject to change. Any logos or trademarked images are copyright protected by their respective owners. Their use does not imply endorsement of or by this website.

Spring Media, LLC is independently and privately owned. We are not affiliated or endorsed by any government or civic entity, including any City or any other government or administrative organization.

In Case You Missed It